The opening(Surah Al-Fatihah)
Themes of the Surah:
This Surah aims to divert one’s full focus on Allah making worship for Him alone.
Surah Al-Fatihah is called” Opening” because it is the first Surah of the Qur’an. In Arabic it is known as “Umm Al-Qur’an”, the foundation of the Qur’an because it contains all the Quranic themes; from the principles of faith and worship to the storied of previous nations and other matters. The Prophet (Peace be upon him) confirmed it to be the greatest surah in the Qur’an.
- بِسْمِ اللَّـهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ.
I begin by calling on Allah, who is Ar-Rahman, the Merciful, and Ar-Rahim, the Compassionate. These last two names of Allah are derived from the Arabic word rahmah, which means mercy: proving the greatness and vastness of His Mercy and that His Mercy surrounds everything and embraces all living beings. Every blessing is due to His Mercy. and the believers receive the greatest mercy.
- الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ.
All praise belongs to Allah with regards to His, essence attributes, and actions because He is the Creator of everything. Everything belongs to Him and He is the disposer of their affairs; blessing individuals specifically and humans in general.
- الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ.
Two names of Allah, Ar-Rahman and Ar-Rahim, derived from the word Rahman, or mercy: indicating His mercy for creation, with the believers being the greatest recipients of it.
- مَالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ.
He is the master of the day of judgment, the day in which we will be brought back to life and repaid for what we have done, all of his creation will be held accountable for their action will be held accountable for their actions and recompensed for them. On that day Allah will ask ” To whom belongs this kingdom today?”(Surah Ghaifr:16)
No one, no matter how high this status, will answer, and then Allah will reply Himself, to Allah, the One, the Overcomer (Surah Ghaifr:16)
- إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وَإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ.
We worship and obey none except You; we associate no one with You, and no one with you, and from you alone do we ask for help in all affairs. All goodness in Your hand and there is no helper except you…
- اهْدِنَا الصِّرَاطَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ.
Show and facilitate for us the right way the path of submission to you which has no crookedness and make us firm upon it.
- صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ غَيْرِ الْمَغْضُوبِ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا الضَّالِّينَ.
The same path as those of your creation whom you have blessed with guidance, such as prophets, the truthful, martyrs, and the righteous ones. what good companions these people make! keep us away from the path of those who earned Your anger, who knew the truth and did not follow it- as was the case with the Israelites; and keep us away from the path of those who lost their way and were not guided, because they neglectful in seeking the Truth and being guided by it-as was the case with the Christians.
- Allah starts His scripture with “In the name of Allah”, showing us that we should start our actions and speech in this way, asking for His help and His aid.
- Surah AL-Fatihah is the greatest Surah in the Qur’an, because it contains the rights that belong to Allah only, and explains the way to reach Him.
- All gratitude and praise belong to Allah because He is the lord of everything; He brought everyone into life; He regulates our lives; cares for us through His blessings.
- The Surah shows that faith is perfected through sincerely worshipping Allah and seeking His help alone.
- A Muslim needs to be careful about following the path of the people of the Book who earned Allah’s anger and became misled.